Tuesday, October 22, 2013

UMass Lowell Hockey

Colby Sedlier
Professor Julian Zabalbeascoa
F.Y.S.H Sec 303
22 September 2013
UMass Lowell Hockey

            The University of Massachusetts Lowell has been among the top growing and expanding schools within the United States with this year even welcoming its largest class of incoming freshmen. It has enhanced its facilities, faculty, curriculum, but most notably its athletic program. Moving up from Division II to Division I starting in the 2013 fall season has been among the largest accomplishments of the University. All athletic teams excelled in their 2012-2013 seasons pushing them up the ranks especially the UMass Lowell Hockey Team. They competed among the best of the best at the college level and made it to the Frozen Four where only the four most skilled teams in the United States are recognized. From their ability to succeed, as well as their fellow Riverhawks, the hockey team began their 2013-2014 season in Division I.
           
            As a currently enrolled freshman at UMass Lowell, I had the opportunity and privilege to witness the atmosphere the hockey team brings to the Tsongas Arena in which was purchased by the University within the last 5 years and is now home to the UMass Lowell hockey and basketball teams. As soon as I stepped within 100 yards of the arena, I could feel the pride that emanated from the students and fans waiting in line for their turn to finally enter the Tsongas. The crowds of people were donned fully in UMass Lowell attire ranging from sweatpants to scarfs and to hockey jerseys with each person wrapped up in the moment. I myself wore my relatively nerdy College of Engineering sweatshirt but hey, it represented UMass Lowell and that’s all that counts. As the crowds slowly poured into the arena it was finally my turn to swipe my ID and make my way to my seat.
           
            Before this event, I had been to several Boston Bruins’ hockey games. The fans at these games were plentiful and The Garden rarely had empty seats. I expected the Tsongas to be halfway full but I was completely incorrect. I walked up the stairs and turned to find my seat with the sight of thousands of people taking over almost every square inch causing me to stop and stare like a deer in the headlights. The amount of Riverhawk fans supporting their team was astounding and I felt like I was a part of it. I was in the same situation as everyone else; cheering on my team, my school, and my future. And as I eagerly waited for the players to take their positions, my heart pounded faster and faster with every winding second of the clock.
           
            It’s difficult to remember every single detail of the game because there was always something happening during every second. I couldn’t even tell you who won the first faceoff or who scored the first goal because the game was so fast paced. There were so many passes and plays that each team executed to perfection that my brain could just not process everything at once. And I know what you’re thinking and you’re wrong Professor Z…I was not drunk, I’m just used to hitting a golf ball and focusing my mind on one shot at a time rather than 9 other men skating circles around me. Despite this lack of memory, there is one moment in which I will never forget.

            As the UMass Lowell front line skated towards the opposing goalie, which happened to be right in front of me, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. I remember standing up while they skated closer and closer as if we were synchronized swimmers letting our bodies become one through the air and landing perfectly into the water seamlessly together. The crowd went silent as the puck flew through the air with tiny shards of ice slipping off with every circular rotation. The horn sounded and the crowd’s voice was heard.
There was applause, screams filled with emotion, and even some kisses being exchanged between loved ones. The student section was led by its Class President into a crazy cheer excitement involving everyone willing to follow. It was the first Riverhawk goal I had ever witnessed and I found myself jumping up in down with the rest of the fans with a big grin on my face. To put it simply, it was the greatest and most memorable experience in my college career so far.


            If it were not for this hockey team and their fellow athletes’ ability to perform, the University would not be as highlighted as it is today. They are a group of individuals who have boosted the school’s reputation and have, as one team, shed light for athletes in high school to put Lowell as a top university choice for a chance to don their very own Riverhawk jersey when their time comes. As a student at UMass Lowell, the pride that I feel for my school was increased just because of this one event. And overall, this experience was thoroughly enjoyable and hopefully there will be more like this to come in the future. 

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to go to one of these games, but after reading this response, I'm starting to feel like I'm really missing out. Thanks for a wonderful description of the high of what it is like to attend one of these. 10/10

    ReplyDelete